Wednesday, March 3, 2010

UNDIP's English Department Tutors


After days of waiting, finally the result of English tutor came out.

UNDIP’s English Department tutors:

Speaking :

  • Pipit Indrawati (alumnae of Australia-Indonesia Youth Exchange Program), English UNDIP 2005
  • Ike Endah Rachmawati, English UNDIP 2007
  • Fanny Judistia Perdani (participant of Korean Youth Camp 2009), English UNDIP 2006
  • Andina Dwi Kanti, English UNDIP 2007
  • Pratama Yoga Nugroho, English UNDIP 2006

Writing:

  • Vany M, unidentified
  • Tika Siwi Saraswati, English UNDIP 2007
  • Enggy Setya Ningrum Dewanti, English UNDIP 2007
  • Sofiana Rosida, English UNDIP 2007
  • Indri Manisha, English UNDIP 2007

Congratulations for all the tutors!

A Story behind the Selection

Actually I knew the announcement long time before my departure to Boston. However, I was curious whether it was a program by EDSA or by the Department. I was wondering if it was a program by EDSA because when I was still holding the position as the president of EDSA, my committee (Assistance Division) initiated such a program and there were tons of things to be evaluated. I keep wondering until one day when I was in Boston to attend HNMUN (Harvard National Model UN) 2010, I had a chat with Mbak Wulan, one of Department secretaries. She told me about the announcement and encouraged me to apply. Then I asked her if it was an EDSA’s program. She said no and that it was a Department program instead. Interestingly, the Department would provide the tutors with some amount of fee. I thought it was really interesting but since I also had to include my KHS to apply I didn’t really pay attention to this opportunity.

Few days after I arrived in Indonesia, I texted Mbak Wulan and Bu Dwi if I could still apply for the post and they said yes. Then I started preparing my application. Luckily, I ever sent an application including my CV to Danone when I applied for Trust by Danone. So I just needed to download all my documents from my email, edit+upadate them, then sent them to Bu Dwi’s email since I was in Jakarta, without having to write a new one.

Few days later, came an info that the there would be a written selection on Monday, March 1, 2010. I was 30 minutes late in the first selection (it’s a long story). Already losing a lot of time, I had rather difficult time concentrating on the test which consisted of grammar and writing an essay about one of the given topics. As a result, I fully realized that my writing wasn’t really good since it lacked cohesion, unity, and supporting arguments. Given such situations, I built on my strategy by relying on the grammar perfection, that is I tried to avoid any grammar mistake both in the grammar and essay section, and the vast variety of vocabularies, that is I tried to use high, complicated words to deliver my message without deviating the meaning of the sentence or the paragraph. I was confident with these strategies, but considering the fact that the other applicants possessed outstanding ability in English, I was a lil’ bit worried about my chance.

The next selection stage was interview, which was held on Friday, March 6, 2010. On this stage, I was interviewed by Bu Eta (a grantee of Fulbright program) and Pak Arya, both of the are lecturers at the English Department. They asked a lot of questions including technical stuff like:

Pak Arya : Mas Yoga, you said that you want to be a diplomat but you know being a diplomat is like here (acting like he put something on the table with his left hand) and education is here (acting like he put something on the table with his right hand, implying a meaning that both things are actually really different). So how can you correlate those things?

Me : (Well, it’s a tough question so I had to work hard on this one).

Pak Arya : So, Mas Yoga, within how many meetings can you asses your students’ ability in English?

Me : Well, it really depends on the duration of the meeting and the number of the students. But let’s say I have an hour meeting with 5 students, perhaps I can asses their ability in bla bla bla…

et cetera.

After the interview, I left everything to God. I waited patiently. One day, I met Bu Eta and happened the following conversation:

Me : Bu, hasilnya gimana Bu?

Bu Eta :Not yet. We’ll decide tomorrow?

Me :What about my chance?

Bu Eta :You don’t need to worry about your chance.You know what I mean.

Me :Ya but the other applicants are bright students with great potentials. So I’m just worried if I can’t compete with them.

Bu Eta :[smiling]Well, you have nothing to worry about

Does it mean that I already get a post a tutor, I asked myself. I didn’t wanna believe in that idea though. I was just worried if the result would have been different. So, I just left everything to God. He knows the best anyway.

One day, when I was hanging out with a group of friends in front of Department Office, Mbak Wulan came out of the office carrying a sheet of paper and mentioned my name. I was curious what it was and when she pasted the paper on the announcement board, I leaned that it was the announcement of the result of English tutor election. I was so happy to see my name was there, along with the other friends of mine. Then I texted the other people who got selected informing the result of the selection and greeting them. Now that I have a new responsibility, I’m sure I won’t be idle as I was before and I’m sure this is another good opportunity for further advancement.

No comments:

Post a Comment